​What to do in the event of an accident

Industrial accident or occupational disease

What do I do if I have a work-related accident?

Inform your employer

If you have a work-related accident or contract a disease caused by your work, notify your employer as soon as possible.

A worker who has an accident or contracts a disease while working outside Québec may be eligible for benefits under the Act respecting industrial accidents and occupational diseases if the following conditions are met:

  • the worker is domiciled in Québec, and
  • his or her employer has an establishment in Québec.

If the worker chooses to elect domicile outside Québec during a work assignment, his or her coverage lasts a maximum of 5 years, starting on the date of assignment.

Consult a physician

If you have sustained a work-related injury or contracted a work-related illness and cannot work after the day of the accident, you must see a physician and submit a medical certificate to your employer.

Fill out the “Worker’s Claim” form

If you miss over 14 days of work or if you have expenses to be reimbursed, fill out the “Worker’s Claim” form. Make sure you provide all the requested information, including your street address, postal code, health insurance number and social insurance number. Send us the original documents requested along with the completed form. You can be reimbursed for certain expenses (travel, drugs, etc.) even if did not have to miss any work. Keep all your receipts.

Deadline for filing your claim

Your “Worker’s Claim” form must be sent to the CNESST within 6 months of:

  • the date of the employment injury, or
  • the date on which you learn that you have an occupational disease.

In the event of the worker’s death, the “Worker’s Claim” form must be sent to the CNESST by his or her beneficiary within 6 months of:

  • the date of death caused by an employment injury, or
  • the date on which he or she learns that the worker died as a result of an occupational disease.

Take any required medical exams

You must take any necessary medical exams and adhere to the treatment regimen recommended by your physician. In addition, you must be examined by the physician designated by your employer, if so requested.

Inform your employer and the CNESST

Keep the CNESST informed of any changes in your situation, and inform your employer as soon as you know the date on which you will return to work.